Plan To Return To Work After Bypass Surgery? Don't Cancel Your Disability Claim Yet

If you file for disability benefits after having bypass heart surgery but now change your mind and plan to return to work after your recovery, you may wonder if you should cancel your disability claim or allow it to go through. Canceling your claim may not be the best idea right now. Unless your doctors give you a clean bill of health, it's a good idea that you wait to see if your heart surgery is successful. Here's why you shouldn't cancel your disability claim just yet.

Why Shouldn't You Cancel Your Claim?

Keeping your claim open may actually benefit you instead of hurt you. Although most coronary bypasses prove successful for patients, some individuals may experience complications afterward, including infections, bleeding and blood clots. If you need additional treatments to overcome your problems, it may take you longer to recover overall. Not having some kind of financial help to keep you afloat during your extended recovery may create stress in your life that can potentially affect your health. 

The Social Security Administration, or SSA, will allow you to return to work after your extended recovery period ends through a program known as "trial work period." The trial allows you to work up to nine months and still receive disability benefits. After the trial completes, the SSA will re-evaluate your status to see if you can continue receiving benefits. If your doctor states that you are well enough to work without issue, the SSA will generally discontinue your benefits. But if you still need treatment or experience heart complications that limit your ability to work full time or certain hours, you may continue receiving your benefits.

It's a good idea that you hire a Social Security Disability attorney to help you with your case.

What Can You Do to Continue Your Claim?

One of the things you might do is meet one-on-one with a disability lawyer. An attorney will most likely monitor your medical treatment during your case. They may submit medical documentation that shows the status of your treatment, including any subsequent heart surgeries, therapies and medications you receive to manage your condition. Although you can do these things yourself, it may be stressful on your during your recovery.

Also, bring copies of your original claim filing so that an attorney can go over it and examine it for errors, such as incorrect dates or unanswered questions. If you're still in the hospital and can't attend an in-person appointment, an attorney may come to you. This is something you must discuss with an attorney over the phone, or you may ask a spouse or guardian to speak for you.

For more details about your claim, contact a disability attorney, like Paul F Guthrie, as soon as you can.